i really have to stop all this self-destructive skin-picking business, it hurts and its terrible and ugly
does anyone know any alternatives to do when im feeling all anxious and dont know what to do w my hands? i dont think i can keep a band around my wrist to snap and play with, so not that.
(note: i also bite my nails down to the quick and chew my fingers. i’m a mess.)
- peaceroxi said: dude i have that too! it’s basically dermatillomania. What worked for me was getting a bunch of old bottle caps that still had the vinyl liners inside. Picking at the liners gives the same tactile feeling that skin-picking does!
- stupidwanchor likes this
- eddiegrungepup said: I have a tendency to do this too. Stuff that sometimes helps me is chewing gum or eating something, petting the dog or cat, playing with clay, drawing, playing a video game, or exercising. Anything constructive that keeps your hands busy might help.
- magicalstarsign said: i channel all my anxiety into shaking my leg up and down esp when im sitting otherwise i pull out all my hair lmao
- dzombar reblogged this from mopsthefloors and added:
- thesylverlining said: I do that too. A lot. I generally try to distract myself, or play with a pen or something. Or pet my dog (seriously, having GOOD FEELS like soft pet on hands helps distract from desire to pick).
- lornemery said: I’m afraid I have nothing to say about the picking, as I’m right there with you, but I used to gnaw my nails to bits and now I keep them ridiculously long. I managed to stop by painting them a lot, if just a clear coat. That might be worth a shot?
- soshootastar said: try rolling a ball around your hand, knitting, crocheting, squeezing a teddy bear or a pillow, wrapping rubberbands into a rubber band ball, holding someone’s hand, etc.
- mopsthefloors posted this